Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baby Food Diary 3.



When I introduce new food to my baby, there are certain rules I follow:

First off, I introduce new foods one at a time. For example, when I introduced rice to him, I fed him only rice (in addition to breast milk) for about three days. This gave me enough time to observe him to see if he was allergic to it, or if it constipated him, a common side effect. If I had introduced him to both rice and sweet potatoes simultaneously, and he had an allergic reaction, I wouldn't be able to tell which new food caused the reaction, right?

Secondly, I always introduce new foods to him in the morning. If I fed him a new food right before his bed time, what if he did have an allergic reaction? Besides the obvious safety concerns, neither my baby and I certainly do not want to deal with this at night!

Finally, after I make sure he is okay with the food (no allergic reactions or constipation), I start to feed him the solids for brunch and dinner.

After the initial introduction of a new food, my baby's feeding schedule looks like this;
7:00 am Breakfast --breast milk
11:00 am Brunch--breast milk and solids
3:00 pm Snack--breast milk
6:30 pm Dinner--breast milk and solids

Now, let me talk about avocado.
I love, loovvee avocados. I love avocado so much that I take them very seriously and couldn't wait to let my baby try them as well. Avocados are well-known as a rich source of Vitamin E, which is great for skin and hair. It's also a good source of fiber, Vitamin K, and potassium. They have much more potassium than bananas, did you know? That's why I chose avocado
as the third food to introduce to my baby.

How did I feed him? Very simple. I cut an avocado in half, just like the picture above, and
scraped it off from the skin with a spoon so the texture becomes almost like ice cream. One thing about avocado though-- it's important that the avocado is nice and ripe, but not too ripe. If it's not ripe enough, it's hard to make avocado's texture creamy, and if it's too ripe, it gets brown and it just doesn't taste good. So when I buy avocados at the supermarket, I usually buy them while they are still hard and not yet ripe, and let them sit at home for a few days until they are perfectly ready to be eaten. Never put them in the fridge! And when it comes to avocado, I don't store them prepared in the freezer for next feedings like I do with other solid foods. I heard it's okay to freeze it but I just don't want my baby to eat brown avocado.


My baby's reaction:

He liked it, which we already knew!!





No comments:

Post a Comment