Thursday, July 8, 2010

Baby Food Diary 7.



In my previous blog post, I talked about applesauce and how I was shocked to see my baby's not so great reaction to it--I take it back.  I guess I updated my blog a little bit too early because next day, he liked it so much that I had to tell him, "That's enough."   But of course, he made me so happy in the meantime because I put lots of effort to make applesauce.  Also special thanks to fiber in apples because he pooped so much afterwards.  If my baby ever gets constipated, I know exactly what to feed now.  See, feeding solids is so much fun!  

...This time is peas.  I've wanted to introduce peas to my baby for a while.  Besides the fact peas are very popular baby food, what I love about peas is that they are rich source of protein, as well as fiber, Vitamin A, C, Folate, Thiamin, and Niacin.  Also Peas are known for a really good source of Vitamin K.  Great, but I had to ask myself "Do I know what Vitamin K does to your body?"  It is needed for proper bone formation and blood clotting in both cases by helping the body transport calcium.  Also, all newborn infants receive Vitamin K to prevent deficiencies that sometimes develop in breast-fed infants.  I knew that...not!  Now that I looked up some information on Vitamin K though, I vaguely remember my baby was given Vitamin K when he was just born at the hospital...  

Anyway, since I couldn't find fresh peas in any supermarkets near me, I bought frozen peas.  With the frozen kind, I didn't have to shell the peas so that made the process very simple.  I added a little bit of water in the pot, and boiled peas for about 6 minutes.  Then, drained water and pureed with a food processor.  

I found one tricky thing in pureeing peas though.  It's very hard to puree the skin completely.  So I added more water into the food processor and pureed more.  

Done.  


My baby's reaction:  

He liked it a lot.  He didn't make funny face like he did with applesauce.  Also as opposed to apples, I found peas sweeter when pureed.  (Apples taste sweeter when uncooked.)  Yet, it was a bit of unpleasant taste to me.  I wish I could add some chicken broth or veggie broth to make it taste better, kind of like split pea soup.  But not just yet.  It doesn't matter whether mama likes it or not anyway.  As long as my baby loves it, that's all it matters.    


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Sari!
    Just to post one picture, I take so many pictures. I do this while I cook and feed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the clever jokes at the end. I think I've read every one of your posts so far!

    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kammy,
    Thanks! I want to update this blog more frequently, but it's so hard. Just bear with me :)

    ReplyDelete