Sunday, August 8, 2010

Baby Food Diary 9.



I was on vacation for 3 weeks in Japan so I haven't been able to update the blog for a while....

A while ago, I gave my baby banana.  I love bananas.  Banana bread, banana smoothie...give it to me!  But for some reason, bananas often give me heartburn, and my husband has the same problem.  If both of us have the same problem, my baby would have the same problem right?  Well, because of this reason, while bananas are one of the most popular food being introduced to babies as the first solid food, they came into the 9th place in our household.

So why do bananas give us heartburn?  Some study says a banana that isn't fully ripened has a high acid content, a pH of around 5, which is a lot more than most vegetables.  An unripe banana has also has starches that haven't yet been converted to sugar and can be difficult to digest.  In contrast, many other studies say that eating bananas is beneficial for heartburn relief...whatever.

But I am aware there are good reasons for bananas being so popular as baby food.  They are packed with nutrients.  They contain lots of potassium, and fiber.  Vitamin B6, VitaminC, and VitaminB2 are also contained in bananas.

Besides the fact bananas are such healthy food, it is so easy to prepare.  You don't even have to cook.  All you have to do is just peel the skin, cut into small pieces, and mash it.  It's like perfect for busy parents.

One thing with bananas though--many baby food sources says they can cause constipation....

My baby's reaction:  He loved sweet creamy bananas.  But he did not poop for the rest of the day so I am thinking he did get constipated a little bit.  So what I did was mix mashed banana with applesauce and oatmeal, which are both rich in fiber.  And that definitely did the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment